Monday, March 23, 2009

Lesson Learned

I managed to run 11 miles on Saturday. Seriously. 11. The best part is that I got through it. Even when I was sure it was impossible. The worst part was learning that I should not run on an entirely empty stomach. I felt like I was running on bad fumes. Also, I learned that sleep is useful for efficient running. And the combination of too little sleep and too little food, is a less than optimal run. 

This Saturday is my first official race. It's the Great Race half marathon in Agoura Hills. The half marathon (that's 13.1 miles) will be on a combination of trails and road. I'm excited but nervous. Excited because it should be a very scenic route. Nervous because that's 13.1 miles. And trails mean that there's stuff for me to trip over. But this time, I'll stay hydrated throughout the week, I'll get enough sleep and I'll eat a little breakfast. This race is supposed to be one of the best post-race brunches, so that should also be fun. And of course, I'll finally have an official picture of myself to put into my scrapbook!!!

Man, I can't get over the fact that I ran 11 miles. Granted, I slowed down by the end and didn't keep my pace perfectly. But I completed it. Me. Amazing. I can't wait to see what I can do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment