Thursday, March 12, 2009

Seven Mile Struggle

Last Saturday (the 7th), we did seven miles at Balboa park. Unfortunately, I felt horrid the entire time, and after starting out at a slow jog for two minutes, realized that I could not keep going at even that slow pace. I was still uncomfortable walking, but decided that since I would have a nine mile run the following week, I really wanted to complete the seven miles, even at a snail's pace. So that's exactly what I did. I basically walked the entire seven miles.

The experience was both exhilarating and humiliating. I was extremely self-conscious because even my walking pace was much slower than everyone else. By the time I was at mile 4.5, the runners were passing me on their 6th mile. The way our course was set up, the runners then passed me on their 7th mile as well. I was literally the last person to finish (except for the encouraging and ever-positive Kelley, who was kind enough to walk with me the entire time).

But, other than being slow, I found that seven miles, walked or run, was still exhilarating and was more mileage than I have ever done in one setting. I completed it, even though it was uncomfortable and even though I would have rather slept in. I was proud of myself for persevering even though it was nothing like the ideal run I had originally hoped.

And I received an added and unexpected benefit -- of working and conditioning the different muscles used in walking. I'm sure that come 26 miles, I will be doing a good deal of walking, and it's good to know that even when I feel crummy, seven miles is completely doable.

So, I got back on the wagon, and did a 45 minute run on Tuesday (I still was feeling pretty awful on Monday morning). It was a little more difficult for me, probably because I hadn't run since Wednesday, but I did it anyway. And I felt good for not giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment