Thursday, March 12, 2009

Finally, Correct Form

It has now taken me three visits to Jeff Waldberg, but I finally have been able to implement good running form!!! As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I started off with several form issues (i.e., landing heal first, bending at the hip, slightly too slow of a cadence, etc.). Then, when I learned what those were, I over-corrected, running almost entirely on my toes the following week. That hurt. I felt like someone had shoved nails into my calves. So on my second visit, I learned to find the mid-foot, and sped up my cadence. I went back this morning, and I got it!

For some added stability, Jeff taped my heals, which has the unexpected additional benefit of helping me walk in heals without wobbling. I do feel more stable with my feet taped and this week, I'm going to be experimenting with how it feels on the long run. Hopefully, once my body has gotten used to the proper form, the taping won't feel necessary, but in the meantime, it seems to help. I had planned on attempting to run with the tape last Saturday, but because I walked, I couldn't be sure if the taping helped significantly.

This Saturday is our nine mile run in Reseda. We'll be practicing on hills, which, I'm actually really excited about. I think I'll need the practice because in only two weeks, I'll be running my first half-marathon (yikes) on trails in Agoura Hills. Wow that's soon. But I'm confident that even if I can't run the whole thing, I'll be able to complete it. And I'm really excited because I'll finally have a race under my belt. And a picture that I can put into my scrapbook!!! Finally! LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment