Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Long Stretch

On Saturday, I completed 20 miles. No, that's not a typo!!! 
I'm not even sure what to say. 
I truly can't believe it.
I knew it was bound to happen, given that I'm training for 26.2, and it was on our May calendar. But still, it seems mind-boggling. 
It was tough. Especially in the early miles. That was a surprise actually, because I didn't think that the serious difficulties would occur until mile 14-17 range. Not so. 
I started off early (6:30) because I wanted to avoid as much of the unbearable SF Valley sun and heat toward mid-day as I could. I guess I didn't properly warm up though, because within the first few minutes of my run, my shins started throbbing. I tried to push through it for a few intervals when I realized that 1) I really wanted to complete 20 miles, 2) slow and steady wins (well, actually merely finishes) the race, and 3) I am training for the marathon, not for a team practice. So I swallowed my pride and decided to walk the remainder of the miles. 
At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do during the marathon. I feel like I will be able to walk it, and I feel as though I will be able to jog parts, but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep a steady interval during the entire event. 
One thing that I found particularly helpful though about Saturday's practice was that I learned that I need a bit longer of a warm-up than other people. That's especially true when I'm running first thing in the morning. So I may decide to simply walk the first mile or two of the actual event. I think that will help me not trip over the many people who are going to be running with me, and, because the first part of the marathon is a long uphill onramp, will help me conserve energy for the remainder.  
I'm really glad that on the run two weeks ago, I pushed through for that 17th mile. Because I did that, even though I ached during my entire 20 miles yesterday, I was so much stronger at mile 17 than I was during practice two weeks ago. I expect that I'll go through a lot of painful I-can't-make-it moments during the marathon, but now I have a few extra things that I didn't have previously. I have the knowledge that I can push through a hell of a lot of physical discomfort and am strong enough to accomplish tough goals. I have the confidence that I can follow through and push through. I have the experience of all of the ups and downs over the past 3 months. And I have the support of people who genuinely want me to succeed. And best of all, I know that I did absolutely everything that I could do to prepare. 
From here on, our Saturday mileage drops to 10, and then 5 pre-race, but I will make sure to make the most of those practices, and all of the mid-week speed work, strength training and mileage building. 
I can't believe the marathon is so close. I am starting to feel like a real athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment